Assembly seeks “fresh and exciting” Scottish voices
Assembly Festival has announced a new award worth £5,500 to give a developing Scottish performance company the opportunity to stage a work at the Edinburgh fringe 2017.
The Assembly Roxy Theatre Award is open to any Scotland-based theatre company or performance practitioner who are currently unfunded.
It is specifically to bring a new work to the 2017 fringe. The work should be up to an hour long and can be scripted, devised, physical or improvised.
The award guarantees a one-hour slot in the 60 seat Roxy Downstairs venue for the duration of the fringe and includes rehearsal space for three weeks prior to the fringe as well as brochure costs and support from the Assembly teams before and during the fringe.
Deadline for applications is 9am, Monday 9 January 2017. A shortlist of applicants will be interviewed as part of the selection process, with the successful company being programmed into Roxy Downstairs.
Companies applying for the award will need to provide 50 words of copy about their proposed show together with a full first draft of an unperformed script or performance structure for a devised, physical or improvised work. They should have a confirmed creative team and proposed production budget.
new creative voices
William Burdett-Coutts, Assembly’s artistic director, said, “We’re looking for fresh and exciting new creative voices in Scotland. This new Award will support new Scottish theatre in the Edinburgh Festival Fringe by providing companies with an opportunity to present work they would not be in a position to do otherwise.
“Assembly will provide both financial and in kind support, as well as access to our team resources and rehearsal space.
“The Fringe offers one of the most challenging but potentially life changing opportunities for emerging theatre makers and we want to offer an opportunity to make that step within the supporting framework of one of the Fringe’s most well-regarded presenters.”
Full details of the award are available to download here.
Content of the Award:
– Confirmed programme slot within the Assembly Festival programme in the 2017 Edinburgh Festival Fringe in Roxy Downstairs.
– No minimum venue fee for the Festival Fringe season, alleviating up front risk and deposits.
– Rehearsal space and production office in Roxy Downstairs for three weeks prior to the festival.
– Registration and Joint Venue Brochure entry to be paid by Assembly Festival.
– Producing and Technical support through the production period, including guidance on the future life of the work.
– Press and Marketing support and guidance for devising a campaign for the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, including assistance with writing a press release.
– A technical operator for the season
– Street team for the season
Applicants should send the following to ART@assemblyfestival.com before the deadline of 9am, Monday 9 January 2017.
– Fifty word blurb
– Full company and creative biogs (no more than 300 words in total)
– A draft script or performance structure for a devised, physical or improvised
work (running time no more than 60 mins)
Details of the 60 seat, end-on venue, with 5m wide by 3m deep playing area (raised by 9cm) is given on the application details page here.
The Edinburgh Fringe 2017 runs 4 to 28 August 2017.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Gilmartin and Edwards take ART : All Edinburgh Theatre.com | February 22, 2017