Hustings event organised by cultural community
The next Desire Lines event will be a local election hustings on March 6, at which the audience will debate six key questions of cultural issues with local politicians.
The hustings will take place in the Hawthornden Lecture Theatre in the National Galleries of Scotland, The Mound, Edinburgh EH2 2EL, ahead of the local elections scheduled for Thursday May 4 2017.
Desire Lines is an evolving project which aims to “use the collective imagination of people who live in Edinburgh and of those who love it, to develop the city’s cultural direction for the better”. It created a space for the cultural community to have input into the Council’s cultural strategy.
It is run by 14 representatives from the organisations which run some of the city’s major cultural institutions, ranging from arms-length organisations that run Council owned venues to independent festivals and commercial ventures.
The event will be hosted by Morvern Cunningham, of Leith Late and the six questions up for debate will be:
- 1. Should there be a Tourist Levy in Edinburgh to support cultural facilities and events, and if so how would it work?
- 2. Should there be a Development Levy in Edinburgh to support improved public spaces and artworks, and if so how would it work?
- 3. Should funding for large and medium scale cultural organisations in Edinburgh be increased?
- 4. Should there be separate funding support for individual artists and smaller scale organisations, and who should administer and develop such a fund?
- 5. How can Edinburgh strengthen the links between good health and an active cultural life?
- 6. How can communities and neighbourhoods be supported to develop their own local cultural activities and facilities?
Tickets to the Hustings are free and available through Eventbrite:www.eventbrite.co.uk.
Local Election Cultural Hustings
Hawthornden Lecture Theatre, National Galleries of Scotland, The Mound, EH2 2EL
Monday 6 March 2017
Tickets from Eventbrite:www.eventbrite.co.uk.
Further information from: email@example.com
Desire Lines website: www.desirelines.scot