Snow Thursday…

Mar 1 2018 | By More

Edinburgh theatres opening – or not – Thursday

With the weather still looking pretty dodgy out there in Edinburgh today, Thursday 1 March 2018, theatres are still considering whether or not to open their shows tonight. We will update this page with information as we get it.


Yesterday’s snow did not wipe out Edinburgh’s theatre completely. Those foolhardy folk at Edinburgh Studio Opera staged the first half of their double bill, Dido and Aeneas. All power to their elbow! The production is not scheduled for tonight, but will be on Friday (if they haven’t all got the flu!).

Dido and Aeneas at Assembly Roxy was the only show to open in Edinburgh on 28 Feb 2018. Pic: Andrew Perry

Eight shows have now been cancelled tonight. All the professional shows and both the youth theatre musicals. The student production of  The Man From Earth at Summerhall was the only one to go ahead.

Details of cancellations and how to get tickets refunded or for rescheduled performances.

Cancelled: Thursday 1 March:

Our Country’s Good (Bedlam)
Bedlam Twitter: @BedlamTheatre.
“We spoke too soon and can’t beat the Beast so will have to cancel The EUTC presents: ‘Our Country’s Good’ for a second night …
“Once again anyone that has purchased tickets for tonight will be contacted by Sparkseat shortly wrt refunds.
“We’re going to see if organising another performance is at all possible so keep an eye out for that as well as any other news regarding the next few days.”

Allan Stewart’s Big Big Variety Show (King’s Theatre)
Twitter: @CapTheatres.
“We have just taken the decision to cancel this evening’s performance of the Big Big Variety Show. Customers will be automatically refunded.”

The Belle’s Stratagem (Royal Lyceum)
Twitter: @lyceumtheatre.
“Due to adverse weather conditions, the cancellation of bus and train services and the advice of Police Scotland not to travel we have judged it safest for our audience members to cancel tonight’s performance. All bookers are being contacted.  The Lyceum has also cancelled its Mini 2 and Senior 3 Lyceum Youth Theatre classes this evening due to the weather. Full details: click here.

Dogfight (The Biscuit Factory)
Shoogly Peg Productions say: “In light of the current weather and police advising that people do not travel unless necessary we have to put safety first and cancel the show tonight. This is obviously not a decision we have taken lightly.
“If you have tickets for tonight they will be valid at any other performance. Please contact the Facebook Page or email for further details”

Scottish Opera’s Flight (Festival Theatre)
Twitter: @CapTheatres. @ScottishOpera.
“If you have tickets you can exchange them for the Sat 3 Mar performance by calling the @edtheatres box office anytime up to 6pm on Sat. Otherwise a full refund will automatically be issued. We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused and hope you can join us for #FLIGHT on Saturday.”
Scottish Opera’s decision about Friday night’s Unwrapped performance and Saturday’s show is pending.

Les Miserables (The Brunton)
Twitter: @TheBrunton@Captivate_LTD
Due to adverse weather, tonight’s performance of Les Miserables by Captivate Theatre has been cancelled.@Captivate_LTD has scheduled an extra matinee performance of Les Mis for tomorrow, Fri 2 March, 2.30pm. Customers should call 0131 665 2240 to discuss options. “The people WILL sing!”

The Rat Pack Live from Las Vegas (Playhouse)
Twitter: @EdinPlayhouse.
“Unfortunately due to the continued poor weather conditions we have decided to CANCEL tonight’s performance of The Rat Pack. Our box office team will begin contacting those who have booked tickets for tonight’s performance discuss rescheduling tickets or a refund.”

The Return (The Traverse).
Twitter: @traversetheatre
“Unfortunately due to the ongoing severe weather conditions tonight’s performance of #TheReturn has been cancelled. We’re very sorry for any inconvenience or disappointment this may cause you. Full details here:

Going ahead…

The Man From Earth (Summerhall)
Summerhall twitter: @Summerhallery
Event facebook:
Just a confirmation that the show will go on tonight!
If you have prebought a ticket for either Wednesday’s or Thursday’s show but aren’t able to make it due to the weather, please contact us and we’ll be able to help you refund, or switch to another date.



Tags: ,

Comments (5)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

Sites That Link to this Post

  1. Snow business : All Edinburgh | Mar 1 2018
  2. Snow Friday : All Edinburgh | Mar 2 2018
  1. mark gorman says:

    Les Mis by Captivate is also a victim according to the Brunton email I received this morning.

    • Thom Dibdin says:

      It is indeed!
      They have scheduled an extra matinee for tomorrow…
      Only two shows going ahead today are student shows art Bedlam and Summerhall…

  2. mrs young says:

    If there is limited buses today will you take that into account when considering weather to cancel . The people outside town may not have buses or taxis to get home